College is a time when many students begin to sort out their values and figure out who they are. It's not uncommon for students to question their sexual orientation or gender identity and explore how to integrate these with the rest of their life. Counseling services can help if you are: 

  • Questioning your sexual orientation, gender identity, attractionality or relationship styles.
  • Exploring “coming out” to peers, professors, family or friends and feel like you could use some help figuring things out.
  • An LBGTQ+ person of color and are experiencing multiple forms of oppression.
  • Feeling at odds with society’s gender roles and messages.
  • Experiencing tension or harassment because of someone’s reaction to your sexual orientation or gender identity.
  • Trying to accept or understand another person’s sexual orientation and need to talk to someone who is open and nonjudgmental.
  • Concerned about developing relationships with people who will be accepting of your family's diversity because you have LBGTQ+ parent(s).
  • Completely comfortable with your orientation and would like to work with a counselor who is equally comfortable.

 How Do I Know It’s Safe?

  • The services provided by CAPS are confidential. What you choose to share with your counselor is protected by law.
  • CAPS has made a commitment to providing sensitive, quality service to the multicultural student community.
  • Counselors are open and non-judgmental about sexual orientation and gender identity.
  • Counselors work from a multicultural perspective.
  • CAPS actively supports the University’s non-discrimination policy, which includes sexual orientation and gender identity and expression.
  • CAPS is involved in many initiatives on campus that are seeking to transform the MSU climate, making it a safer place for openly LBGTQ+ students.

You might also be interested in more information about gender-affirming and HRT services. See Trans Services to learn more.


The Gender and Sexuality Campus Center
Contact: Jesse Beal, Director
302 Student Services Building
(517) 353-9520