There are many mental health resources available to students, their families, faculty and staff. Below, we’ve curated resources for self-help, assignment-related questions and more.

Mental Health phone support for Michiganders living with persistent mental health conditions during the COVID-19 situation is available through MDHHS. The peer-run phone support is available seven days a week 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. at (888) 733-7753.

If you are in crisis, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. CAPS crisis services are also available 24/7. Call (517) 355-8270 and press “1” at the prompt to speak with a crisis counselor.

To access new counseling and psychiatric services, schedule a consultationDuring your consultation, we'll discuss your needs and help you get connected with available resources on or off-campus based on clinical recommendations.

SAMHSA’s National Helpline: also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service, this Helpline provides 24-hour free and confidential treatment referral and information about mental and/or substance use disorders, prevention, and recovery in English and Spanish. Call 1.800.662.HELP (4357). 

211 is a nationwide service connecting millions of people to help every year. Visit or call 211 (multiple languages offered) to get connected to assistance with emergencies and disasters, food, health services, housing and utilities, human trafficking, jobs and employment, reentry following incarceration, and veteran needs.

Icon depicting the outline of a flow chart

Accessing Mental Health Services

Learn more about how students can access mental health services, the availability of CAPS services and more.


Virtual Care Kit

Virtual Care Kit

Self-care tips to reduce stress, keep a routine and find connection in a virtual world. You might also enjoy the Spartan Bucket List, full of activities and opportunites that can help you feel more connected to the MSU community.


Spring Break Care Kit

Spring Break Care Kit

The Spring Break Care Kit includes tips for taking care during COVID-19 if you choose to travel.


Coping With COVID-19

Coping With COVID-19

Exploring the psychological toll COVID-19 has taken — and how to cope with it.

View Resources

Tips From Our Experts

Videos, podcasts, and other information from CAPS professionals.

See More

Interviews & Class Assignments

Information for students requesting interviews or insights while completing assignments.

Learn More

How to Help a Friend

Tips on how to recognize and help a friend that is struggling.

Read More

Resources for Parents and Guardians

College is full of transitions — for you and your student. Here's what you should know about your student's mental health.

See Resources
Psych Hub and CAPS Logo

Our partners at PsychHub have an online video library covering many common mental health topics, like mindfulness, information about mental illnesses and more. 

Visit PsychHub

Free & Anonymous Self-Assessments

These free, anonymous online screening assessments can help determine whether professional consultation would be helpful toyou. These tools are available to all students at Michigan State University.

  • Visit for a variety of screenings and more information about mental health. 

  • The ULifeline Self-Evaluator includes the option to indicate you're at MSU, but your responses remain anonymous. 

  • Mental Health Screening Tools from Mental Health America include several free and anonymous or confidential screenings including those for Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar, Alcohol or Substance Use Screening and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

  • Additional screening tools for DepressionAnxiety and Eating Disorders are also available.

  • Food Security Self-AssessmentFood insecurity refers to having limited food availability with a reduction in the quality or variety of food intake, which often results in disrupted eating patterns. A lack of food security can be a considerable obstacle to academic success. 


Resources for Survivors of Relationship Violence, Stalking and Sexual Misconduct

  • Know More: Poster providing resources available through MSU and the community about relationship violence, stalking and sexual misconduct. This poster also contains contact information to support and reporting resources.
  • Groups and workshops are available through the MSU Center for Survivors.  


Substance Use

CAPS staff are available to identify problems relating to students’ use of alcohol or other drugs. Individualized assessment, counseling, and referrals are available by calling (517) 355-8270. For further information, please refer to the MSU Health Promotion AOD Program or call (517) 884-6598. For students in recovery, please visit the MSU Collegiate Recovery Community.

If you are living with serious mental illness or substance use challenges and feel it will help lower your stress if you talk with someone who understands these issues, get help from:

Michigan Warmline: 1-888-PEER-753 (888-733-7753) Available every day from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Feedback Forms

External Resources

Follow the links below to learn more about mental health, how to recognize mental health struggles and more.