Services for Students

Walk-In/Crisis Screening

As an MSU student registered for one or more credits, you are eligible for an initial consultation with Counseling Services.  Counseling Services uses a walk-in system (rather than scheduled appointments) for your initial visit.

Walk-in hours

  • Monday – Thursday:  10:00 am – 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
  • Friday: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Students who are in a crisis or extreme distress are usually given first priority, and may walk in Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.  

Business Hours

  • Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
  • Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

To initiate services, please walk into CAPS (463 E. Circle Dr, 3rd Floor of Olin Health Center) and check in at the desk.  You will be asked to complete some paperwork and a brief survey.  The typical wait for a counselor after completing the paperwork is approximately 15-60 minutes, depending on the number of students waiting.  Mornings are generally less busy than afternoons.  Please plan your time accordingly, the total time you should expect for your initial visit, including paperwork and waiting time, is approximately 90 minutes to 2 hours.

After completing your paperwork, you will have a face-to-face interview with a counselor for about 30 minutes.  During this interview, the counselor will gather pertinent information to be reviewed by a team of clinicians in determining whether Counseling or another resource (on or off campus) is the most appropriate option for you.

As resources permit, additional services (such as individual or group counseling) and/or referrals to other resources may be provided.  Most continuing counseling services are available on an appointment basis.

Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services, and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by calling 517-355-8270.

Individual & Couple’s Counseling

Individual Counseling

One-on-one counseling services are offered to help students address concerns in a number of areas including depression, anxiety, substance abuse, stress management, family or other relationships, career decision-making, cultural identity, lesbian/bi/gay/transgender issues, interpersonal concerns, sexual assault, and couples issues. Any student registered for one or more credits is eligible for an initial consultation. As resources permit, additional services and/or referrals may be provided.

Couple's Counseling

Couple's counseling is designed to assist couples with their relationship problems. It can be used to gain more insight into each other and to learn new and more effective ways of communicating. Any type of couple can seek counseling services at CAPS, including married, single, LGBT, roommates and/or housemates. In order to receive couples counseling one or both of the members in your couple must be currently registered as a Michigan State University student.

Couple/marital counseling will give you the opportunity to examine and improve your relationship with your spouse or partner in a non-threatening and compassionate environment. We are not only committed to your personal well-being but also would like to help you make your intimate relationship work.

Counseling services are generally available by appointment. Call Counseling Services at 517-355-8270.

What should I do until I speak to a counselor? Find out here! 

Group Counseling

Counseling Services offers a variety of counseling, support, and educational groups each semester. Participants in groups benefit from the mutual support and learning that occurs from interaction with others who have similar concerns. Unless otherwise noted, all groups will require a pre-group screening. For more information about our groups or to schedule your pre-group interview, please call 517-355-8270 or visit the Group Counseling page

Psychiatry Services

Consultation and treatment are provided for a wide range of mental health concerns including mood and anxiety disorders, eating disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, alcohol/substance abuse, and psychosis. 

Psychiatry Clinic hours are Monday through Friday and by appointment only. Appointments can be made with the Psychiatry staff by referral. Referrals are also accepted from a student’s current psychiatrist, counselor or primary care doctor, or from a CAPS counselor. The first three Psychiatry appointments are prepaid by the University for enrolled MSU students (this does not apply to MSU Law or Lifelong Ed students).  After the three covered visits, charges are billed to insurance;  this does not guarantee payment for services. Please check your policy for mental health benefits.

Once your appointment is scheduled, please print out and complete the Psychiatry Intake formthen deliver it to the clinic at least two days prior to your first appointment.

To speak with a Psychiatry Clinic staff member, please call 517.353.8737.

Twenty-four-hour notice is requested for all cancellations. Following the initial consultation, there is a fee if an appointment is missed without notifying us in advance. Cancellations should be called into 517.353.8737.

Psychological Testing 

MSU CAPS offers a limited number of reduced cost testing and assessment services to eligible students with learning, attention or other concerns that may be impacting academic performance. We also commonly provide resources/referrals to students for local area providers who can provide similar services.  Please call 517-355-8270 or come into CAPS (3rd floor of Olin Health Center) for a walk-in screening.

Substance Abuse

CAPS staff are available to identify problems relating to students’ use of alcohol or other drugs. Individualized assessment, counseling, and referrals are available by calling 517-355-8270. For further information, please refer to the MSU Health Promotion ATOD Program website or call 517-884-6598. For students in recovery, please visit the MSU Collegiate Recovery Community website.


The college years are a time when many students begin to sort out their values and figure out who they are. It is not uncommon for students to question their sexual orientation and/or gender identity and explore how to integrate these with the rest of their life. Wondering if CAPS is for you? Our LBGT page may be helpful, and the MSU LBGT Resource Center is also a helpful resource for students.

Sexual Assault Program

Located in Suite 207 of the Student Services building, the MSU Sexual Assault Program offers free individual and group therapy as well as advocacy services. They respond to the needs of those impacted by sexual violence and work to create a socially just community: free of violence, abuse of power, and oppression.

Testing Office

Located in room 237 of the Student Services building, the MSU Testing Office is a certified member of the National College Testing Association and the official test site and clearinghouse for computer-based and paper-based national exams, make-up orientation placement testing, testing services for the MSU Counseling Center, Testing (proctored) for Distance Learning, and G.E.D. testing in English and Spanish.

CAPS Online Self-Assessments