Counseling Options at CAPS

Group Counseling

Counseling Services offers a variety of counseling, support, and educational groups each semester. Participants in groups benefit from the mutual support and learning that occurs from interaction with others who have similar concerns. Unless otherwise noted, all groups will require a pre-group screening. For more information about our groups visit our Group Counseling page or to schedule your pre-group interview, please complete this Qualtrics form and indicate which group you are interested in attending.

If you have questions, email the group facilitator or

Individual Counseling

One-on-one counseling services are offered to help students address concerns in a number of areas including depression, anxiety, substance abuse, stress management, family or other relationships, career decision-making, cultural identity, lesbian/bi/gay/transgender issues, interpersonal concerns, sexual assault, and other trauma related concerns. Any student registered for one or more credits is eligible for an initial consultation. As resources permit, additional services and/or referrals may be provided.

Relationship/Couple's Counseling

A relationship system is a group of two or more people who are in an ongoing relationship.  Relationship counseling is designed to assist students with their relationship problems, and is an expansion of what was previously referred to as "couples therapy". It can be used to gain more insight into each other and to learn new and more effective ways of communicating. Any type of relationship system can seek counseling services at CAPS, including married, partnered, single, consensual non-monogamous/polyamorous, LGBTQ+, roommates and/or housemates.

Relationship counseling that is focused on intimate relationships will give you the opportunity to examine and improve your relationship with your spouse or partner(s) in a non-threatening and compassionate environment. We are not only committed to your personal well-being, but we also want to help you make your intimate relationship(s) work.

To receive relationship counseling, one member of the relationship must be currently registered as a Michigan State University student.

Call CAPS at (517) 355-8270 or click here to get started.

What should I do until I speak to a counselor? Find out here!